Welcome to the 'Three Acres And A Cow' wiki
This wiki hosts an open-source creative-commons performers' kit for the show 'Three Acres And A Cow - A History Of Land Rights And Protest In Folk Song And Story'.
If you would like a login to contribute and/or edit the site content please contact us via twitter or email.
The first incarnation of this wiki was left open for anyone to edit and sadly it got spammed to death, losing all content and taking down other websites in the process #whoops.
More information can be found here
Please contact us if you have any questions about this.
There is a beautiful definition of open-source here
The show has been split into suggested modules, listed below, which run in order as shown.
Each module has an overview of key points and themes to be communicated, some sample text and a list of songs, poems and stories which could be used to illustrate them.
As a visual aid for both performers and the audience, a washing line is hung across the back or zigzagged across the performing area and various slips of paper are hung up displaying various dates and events with prompts.
We are experimenting with including modules about housing at the present - these are marked with the suffix (h) below and are still a work in progress.
- 1 ___ Introduction
- 2 ___ The great Norman land grab
- 3 ___ Enclosure, Wool and Sheep
- 4 ___ Plague, trade wars and the Peasants' Revolt
- 5 ___ Enclosure, inflation, that Henry and the Monasteries
- 6 ___ The English Civil War and the Diggers
- 7 ___ Constitutional monarchy, poaching, food riots and the breakdown of the moral economy
- 8 ___ The Parliamentary Enclosures
- 9 ___ Industrial Revolution, the Luddites and Swing riots
- 10 __ The Peterloo Massacre, Tolpuddle Martyrs and early coops/unions
- 10h _ Beginnings of social housing
- 10o _ Ireland & Scotland
- 11 __ The Land Reform movement
- 11h _ Rent strikes and rent controls
- 12 __ Access to countryside
- 13 __ Post WW2 rural migration, agribusiness and CAP
- 13h _ New towns
- 14 __ Recent land protest and reform movements
- 15 __ Via Campesina, Land Workers Alliance and the food sovereignty movement